Sunday, November 7, 2010

blog prompts and blackberry wine

I figured doing the 30 Days of Me would trigger my creative side. Toss in some blackberry wine and you're probably not going to get me to shut up!
Anyways, I just wanted to talk about how proud I am of our little boy. Liam will be 2 on Tuesday (09NOV), and we recently started really focusing on potty training. I never wanted to push him because I believe that its one of those things that you just don't rush. About 2 weeks ago, I asked Liam if he wanted to go use the potty. I was just putting the feelers out there, wasn't going to make him do it, except his response was "no potty" followed quickly by "diaper?"
Oh boy. If he can ask for a diaper, bring me his diapers when he wants/needs to be changed, and even try to wipe himself... I think its time. I answered his request with a very solid "no more diapers" and since we ran out of them we've stuck to it. We started being completely diaper free the middle of this past week. We went out to the mall on Thursday, I had plastic pants on him over his underwear and I took him to the restroom every 15-20 minutes. He never actually peed on the toilet there, but stayed dry for 6 hours! I rewarded him with a happy meal. Since then we've only had a handful of accidents (and its now Sunday, woohoo!), and he will get himself into the bathroom when he has to go. He may not always make it into the toilet (sometimes its on the bathroom rug) but you know what, he's trying.
We started off by having him sit on the toilet for 5 minutes every 15 minutes, he moved up to 5 minutes every 20 minutes by Friday, and Saturday we weren't really using the timer at all. We'd ask him when we remembered (maybe every half hour? 40 minutes?) and he had no accidents at all! Last night and today he's been sick so we haven't pushed him a bit, so he's been in cloth diapers since he first got sick. I still won't buy diapers.

2 comments:

  1. Glad he's doing great on the potty training!! I hope he feels better soon.

    oooo blackberry wine, that sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad he is doing so well! It's so nice being diaper/pull up free. I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete