Sunday, December 26, 2010

2011 is a blank page

We will open the book.  Its pages are blank.  We are going to put words on them ourselves.  The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.  ~Edith Lovejoy Pierce

Thats my inspiration for 2011. There's going to be mistakes, bad days, and falling back into old habits. Its only natural. But I refuse to not learn from my mistakes.
2011 I will break a 25 year old habit of not telling my mom that I love her. We always used the excuse that we knew and just never had to say it. Well, that just doesn't cut it anymore. I now realize how utterly silly it is, especially considering that when my dad passed away he and my mom had had an argument. Life is insanely short and unpredictable, and I don't want to leave this world (or have someone else leave this world) with any kind of doubt as to how I feel about them. Maye thats what 2010 set out to teach me?

I have lots of goals for the new year, most of them silly like losing the rest of this weight, staying organized, etc etc. I'm at peace with those goals, and I'm not going to stress. I'm not going to freak out when my house isn't spotless. I'm not dirty by any means, but I think spending quality time with my kids is more important than sparkling floors. I'm going to let go of old grudges against former friends and relatives. I'm going to step away from the computer more often. And the phone too. Send more snail mail instead of email. Perhaps take a picture every day.

Lastly, I'm hoping that we'll be able to drive up to Arlington to see my father's grave on New Years. What better a way to kick off the new year, new habits, and a new perspective on life; than visiting the past?

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be stealing that quote for my own blog and life for 2011... absolutely perfect and fitting for the coming year. I wish you guys a happy and blessed 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same to you! And I don't know about you, but that quote gave me chills. It basically slapped me across the face and said "HEY stupid!"

    ReplyDelete